Monday, August 25, 2014

Stitch Fix #2 Review: A Box of Awesome

So my first box of random clothing chosen for me from Stitch Fix was disappointing, but I did get one pretty cool looking top out of it. After some back and forth with the customer service representative, I decided to nabbed another date for my next Fix, because, well, I need clothes, and I have these young things that make clothes shopping with them in tow an unpleasant experience.

With a more lengthy explanation of what I was looking for, I asked for colored denim and some fun summer tops to match the colored denim for a hot Los Angeles summer. I also said I wouldn't mind a casual dress or romper but that every maxi dress I've ever tried on looks like a nightgown. This Fix was styled by a new stylist, and between tweaking the Style Profile, being more explanatory about what I wanted, and a new stylist, I got an awesome box of clothes.

What I Received

Kaleigh Ankle Biter Jeans

Kensie Kaleigh Ankle Biter Jeans, $88

Green! Okay, so I'm 5' 3" and not a stick figure, which, for whatever reason, has translated to not being able to find well-fitting colored denim anywhere. I guess I needed to go up in price point because here they are. These are also my first pair of skinny jeans. So about skinny jeans: I've been avoiding them. I tried them on at some *ahem* cheaper retail establishments that I frequent (often), and it did not end well. I even unchecked the box for skinny jeans in my Style Profile. And here they were. Oh, my dear Stylist, you're challenging me here. In a good way. I now love skinny jeans. If they fit. And if I can breathe in them.

Cadance Open Back Cowl Neck Top

Lily Cadance Open Back Cowl Neck Top, $34 

Okay, so if the top I kept from my last Fix had a sibling, this would be it! Cowl neck, triangle cut-out in back, form fitting. On top of that, it's sleeveless and is a fun summer color! Yes, yes, yes. What's not to love?

Felix Fitted Maxi Dress

LAMade Felix Sleeveless Fitted Maxi Dress, $54

So this is a maxi dress. And I hate maxi dresses. Or do I?

I was really disappointed at first to see a maxi dress on the list, because I did note that I thought maxi dresses looked like nightgowns on me. I'm a tall petite (how's that for an oxymoron), I've got all of 3 inches of torso, and now to top it all off I have childrearing hips, and because of all that generally I think maxis make me look short and stout.

Until I met this one. At first I thought it was just a plain oversized tank top. And then I put it on and I swear I heard the fashion angels sing. I just felt like I just looked so good in the dress, and that's what you want clothes to do - make you look and feel good.

So this maxi dress is clingy, and luckily on me in all the right ways. The bottom is literally just cut; there is no finishing on the bottom hem, and that was a little annoying. I did wish it was, I dunno, about 2 feet shorter, but it was super soft and felt nice. It is made of the type of fabric that will pill over time, so I wouldn't say that this is a super durable dress. My friend Dee shares the same distaste for maxis - she also tried it on and fell in love with it. What's kind of interesting is that when I googled the dress to see if I couldn't get her one of her own, the average price of this dress was $92!

Brydon Twisted Seams Striped Tank

41Hawthorn Brydon Twisted Seams Striped Tank, $48

I was a little unsure about the Brydon Twisted Seams Striped Tank. It's a really thin fabric and kind of a simple silhouette for the pricepoint. I do know that the sideways stripe detail is hard to find at Old Navy/Target prices, and I really liked that this top is navy and white and not black and white. In any case, the top I received had little cuts going across it, which was a little unfortunate and prompted an email to customer service.

Montgomery Chevron Cross-Front Top

41Hawthorn Montgomery Chevron Cross Front Knit Top, $48

I had seen this top in other Stitch Fix reviews, but in a light blue/white color scheme. I received a "cobalt" blue and black color scheme, which was a more somber colorway. So you know in Sweet Valley High, there are the Wakefield twins, and Elizabeth is the kind of boring responsible twin and Jessica is the fun twin? I kind of felt like this version of the Montgomery top was Elizabeth, and I kind of wanted to hang out with Jessica. Seriously, to me, the darker colorway seemed more suited to work outfits and PTA meetings, but maybe only because I know there's another colorway out there? The top looked casual enough with my cutoffs, so perhaps this is actually the more versatile color combination? I just thought the other color combo looked brighter and happier, and I was encouraged by my friend to ask customer service since I had to email about the Brydon tank anyway.

My Decision

So after a quick email exchange to customer service, I learned that they did have another Brydon tank to send me if I decided I wanted to keep it, and that they did not have the Montgomery top in the other color combination available.

Here's where Stitch Fix's funky math comes into play. The buy all discount was $63.00 for this box. I was definitely keeping the most expensive item (the green skinny jeans), and it was going to be cheaper for me to keep all five items that to keep four. So I had to choose between returning at least two items or keeping all five. If I was going to return anything, it was going to be the Brydon tank since it was so simple for being an almost $50 top. The second item to go would have been the Montgomery Cross Front Top - I loved the style and fit of it but the color was just okay.

I ultimately decided to keep the whole box! And funny enough, maybe it's just because of my general lack of fun fashion forward tops, I've worn the Brydon top and Montgomery top multiple times already.


So even though I didn't quite get what I asked for (only one top could really be worn with the green skinnies), I asked for the same stylist again because I thought she had a good sense of what I'm looking for and I didn't want to roll the dice with one of their other hundreds of stylists.

I'm looking forward to my next box!

If you're interesting in trying Stitch Fix, I wouldn't mind the referral credit!

No comments: